DST64604 Innovative Industry Project / DST63804 Innovative Pattern Drafting Project

Milestone 1 — Research & Athlete Interaction

During Week 2, our group consisting of Verena, Jevanny, Ming Hui, and myself visited the Malaysia Paralympic Centre for the PCM panel session to observe how para-athletes train and study their training apparel. As our assigned sport was short stature para powerlifting, we divided the research tasks among ourselves to gather more comprehensive information. During the visit, we observed the athletes' movements, the body zones most involved during training, the equipment they used, and the differences between able-bodied powerlifting and Paralympic powerlifting. We also paid attention to the athletes' training outfits to better understand their functional needs. Overall, the visit was a valuable and eye-opening experience as it was my first time seeing para-athletes train in person. I was inspired by their determination, discipline, and perseverance, and I felt proud of their dedication and hard work in pursuing their sport.


The research phase went smoothly because there was a wide range of information available online regarding adaptive clothing and sportswear. However, one challenge was ensuring that the information was accurate and relevant, particularly when identifying the body zones most frequently used and stressed during powerlifting, as this research would directly inform our subsequent design and pattern development. During the PCM panel session, our assigned athlete did not identify many issues with their current sportswear, but they highlighted a preference for longer training pants to help conceal their short legs, reflecting both functional and personal considerations. Although the feedback was limited at this stage, it reminded me that adaptive fashion should address not only physical needs but also users' confidence and personal preferences. Through this experience, I also discovered that the adaptive fashion market still offers relatively limited design features, which made me realise the importance of continuing to explore innovative solutions that improve comfort, functionality, and inclusivity for people with disabilities.


This assignment has taught me that adaptive fashion should begin with understanding the real needs and experiences of users before designing the garment, as each adaptive feature should be developed according to the body zones and functional requirements of the user. In future projects, I would spend more time communicating with the athletes throughout the design process to gather continuous feedback, allowing me to refine the design and better meet the para-athletes' needs and expectations. In addition, I would explore more adaptive features and construction techniques to further enhance comfort, mobility, and independence.


Milestone 2 — Design Development & Testing 

During the design development and testing assignment, my teammates and I divided the tasks by assigning different garments to each member. Two weeks later, we visited the Malaysia Paralympic Centre again to present our prototypes and gather feedback from the para-athletes. My responsibility was to design the warm-up jacket, where I was required to develop two adaptive solutions for both the bodice and sleeves. The aim was to create a jacket that could be shortened when needed, making it suitable for both able-bodied athletes and para-athletes with short stature. At this stage, I felt both excited and stressed because we had very limited time to complete the designs, draft the patterns, and sew the prototypes before the fitting session. The tight timeline meant that we had to work efficiently, make quick design decisions, and ensure that our solutions were ready for testing.


During the design development stage, I proposed three adaptive solutions for the bodice: detachable panels, drawstrings, and magnetic fastenings. For the sleeves, I explored three methods to shorten the length, including drawstrings, button cuffs, and roll-up cuffs. Overall, the design and pattern development process went smoothly because I had a clear idea of how to draft each adaptive feature. However, after testing the prototypes and receiving feedback from the para-athlete, I realised that not every solution was practical. The drawstring method was considered too complicated and did not provide an appealing appearance, while the roll-up cuff was difficult to use because the inner panel had to be pulled out before fastening the outer cuff. In contrast, the detachable panel solution received very positive feedback, and the athlete preferred having detachable panels on both the bodice and sleeves. He also liked the magnetic fastening as an alternative bodice solution. In addition, the coach suggested changing the pocket placement to side seam pockets for better functionality during training. 


After refining my design based on the athlete's feedback, I presented it to Ms. Tracy. She recommended replacing the opening with a zipper instead of my original construction method and advised using only one collar style for both final designs. Although I initially proposed three collar options to accommodate the wider neck proportions of athletes with short stature, we finalised the jersey varsity collar as the most suitable choice. This experience taught me that adaptive fashion should prioritise usability and user feedback rather than relying solely on the designer's ideas. I also learned several innovative techniques for shortening garment length and discovered how conventional design features, such as zippers, can be adapted into more accessible solutions using Velcro to better meet users' needs.


This assignment has taught me that user feedback is one of the most important parts of designing adaptive clothing. In future projects, I would involve the para-athletes earlier in the design process and gather feedback more frequently so that I can improve the design before producing the final garment. Moreover, I would also spend more time exploring adaptive features that are practical, comfortable, and easy to use, while still maintaining a good appearance. 


This journey has shaped me into a more thoughtful and user-focused designer. Through developing and testing the adaptive warm-up jacket, I learned that good design is not only about creating innovative ideas but also about understanding whether those ideas truly work for the user. The feedback from the para-athlete, coach, and lecturers helped me realise the importance of considering practicality, comfort, and personal preferences during the design process. I have become more aware that inclusive design requires patience, flexibility, and continuous improvement. Moving forward, I hope to carry these values into my future designs by creating garments that are not only functional and aesthetically pleasing but also able to support users and make them feel confident.


Milestone 3 — Final Garment & Presentation

During the final garment construction stage, I completed two warm-up jacket prototypes with lining using calico fabric while my teammates produced the three inner garments. Compared to previous semesters, I felt more confident because I understood the construction process better and could manage my workload effectively. We also presented our final designs individually. Although I was nervous, I was excited to explain my adaptive features and design decisions.


One challenge we faced was inaccurate athlete measurements, which required Verena and Jevanny to revisit the Malaysia Paralympic Centre (PCM) with Mr. Farid to obtain accurate measurements. This reinforced the importance of precise measurements when designing adaptive garments. During pattern drafting, I also learned to draft a raglan sleeve for the first time, improving my pattern-making skills with guidance from my friends.


Throughout construction, I refined my designs based on Ms. Tracy's feedback by replacing the magnetic fastening on Design 2 with a zipper and changing the button cuff on Design 1 to an adjustable pull-tab cuff. The most difficult part was sewing the piping around the detachable panels, as the sections often misaligned and required repeated adjustments. I also learned how to conceal excess zipper length inside the lining when the required zipper size was unavailable.


Although the adaptive features functioned well, the lining workmanship affected the overall appearance of my garment. This taught me the importance of working patiently, planning each construction step carefully, and paying close attention to finishing details. To improve my skills, I referred to RedNote and YouTube tutorials, especially for techniques involving plackets, zippers, and lining construction.


During the final presentation, the lecturers praised my detailed presentation slides but also highlighted workmanship as an area for improvement. This motivated me to continue strengthening my garment construction skills and achieve better finishing quality in future projects.


Overall, this project taught me that successful adaptive fashion requires creativity, accuracy, patience, and continuous refinement. It strengthened my technical skills and reinforced the importance of listening to users throughout the design process. Moving forward, I hope to create adaptive garments that combine functionality, comfort, inclusivity, and high-quality workmanship while delivering meaningful value to the wearer.

Final reflection

This project has changed the way I think about design. I realised that good design is not just about making something look attractive, but about understanding the people who will use it and creating solutions that truly meet their needs. Working with a para-athlete helped me become more patient, open to feedback, and willing to improve my ideas throughout the design process. Although I faced challenges with pattern drafting, construction, and workmanship, each experience helped me build my confidence and improve my technical skills. This journey has also made me appreciate the importance of inclusive and user-centred design. In the future, I hope to continue creating designs that are practical, comfortable, and meaningful, while helping people feel more confident and supported through what they wear.

Comments