DST64604 Innovative Industry Project / DST63804 Innovative Pattern Drafting Project

Milestone 1 — Research & Athlete Interaction

During Week 2, our group consisting of Verena, Jevanny, Ming Hui, and myself visited the Malaysia Paralympic Centre for the PCM panel session to observe how para-athletes train and study their training apparel. As our assigned sport was short stature para powerlifting, we divided the research tasks among ourselves to gather more comprehensive information. During the visit, we observed the athletes' movements, the body zones most involved during training, the equipment they used, and the differences between able-bodied powerlifting and Paralympic powerlifting. We also paid attention to the athletes' training outfits to better understand their functional needs. Overall, the visit was a valuable and eye-opening experience as it was my first time seeing para-athletes train in person. I was inspired by their determination, discipline, and perseverance, and I felt proud of their dedication and hard work in pursuing their sport.


The research phase went smoothly because there was a wide range of information available online regarding adaptive clothing and sportswear. However, one challenge was ensuring that the information was accurate and relevant, particularly when identifying the body zones most frequently used and stressed during powerlifting, as this research would directly inform our subsequent design and pattern development. During the PCM panel session, our assigned athlete did not identify many issues with their current sportswear, but they highlighted a preference for longer training pants to help conceal their short legs, reflecting both functional and personal considerations. Although the feedback was limited at this stage, it reminded me that adaptive fashion should address not only physical needs but also users' confidence and personal preferences. Through this experience, I also discovered that the adaptive fashion market still offers relatively limited design features, which made me realise the importance of continuing to explore innovative solutions that improve comfort, functionality, and inclusivity for people with disabilities.


This assignment has taught me that adaptive fashion should begin with understanding the real needs and experiences of users before designing the garment, as each adaptive feature should be developed according to the body zones and functional requirements of the user. In future projects, I would spend more time communicating with the athletes throughout the design process to gather continuous feedback, allowing me to refine the design and better meet the para-athletes' needs and expectations. In addition, I would explore more adaptive features and construction techniques to further enhance comfort, mobility, and independence.


Milestone 2 — Design Development & Testing 

During the design development and testing assignment, my teammates and I divided the tasks by assigning different garments to each member. Two weeks later, we visited the Malaysia Paralympic Centre again to present our prototypes and gather feedback from the para-athletes. My responsibility was to design the warm-up jacket, where I was required to develop two adaptive solutions for both the bodice and sleeves. The aim was to create a jacket that could be shortened when needed, making it suitable for both able-bodied athletes and para-athletes with short stature. At this stage, I felt both excited and stressed because we had very limited time to complete the designs, draft the patterns, and sew the prototypes before the fitting session. The tight timeline meant that we had to work efficiently, make quick design decisions, and ensure that our solutions were ready for testing.


During the design development stage, I proposed three adaptive solutions for the bodice: detachable panels, drawstrings, and magnetic fastenings. For the sleeves, I explored three methods to shorten the length, including drawstrings, button cuffs, and roll-up cuffs. Overall, the design and pattern development process went smoothly because I had a clear idea of how to draft each adaptive feature. However, after testing the prototypes and receiving feedback from the para-athlete, I realised that not every solution was practical. The drawstring method was considered too complicated and did not provide an appealing appearance, while the roll-up cuff was difficult to use because the inner panel had to be pulled out before fastening the outer cuff. In contrast, the detachable panel solution received very positive feedback, and the athlete preferred having detachable panels on both the bodice and sleeves. He also liked the magnetic fastening as an alternative bodice solution. In addition, the coach suggested changing the pocket placement to side seam pockets for better functionality during training. 


After refining my design based on the athlete's feedback, I presented it to Ms. Tracy. She recommended replacing the opening with a zipper instead of my original construction method and advised using only one collar style for both final designs. Although I initially proposed three collar options to accommodate the wider neck proportions of athletes with short stature, we finalised the jersey varsity collar as the most suitable choice. This experience taught me that adaptive fashion should prioritise usability and user feedback rather than relying solely on the designer's ideas. I also learned several innovative techniques for shortening garment length and discovered how conventional design features, such as zippers, can be adapted into more accessible solutions using Velcro to better meet users' needs.


This assignment has taught me that user feedback is one of the most important parts of designing adaptive clothing. In future projects, I would involve the para-athletes earlier in the design process and gather feedback more frequently so that I can improve the design before producing the final garment. Moreover, I would also spend more time exploring adaptive features that are practical, comfortable, and easy to use, while still maintaining a good appearance. 


This journey has shaped me into a more thoughtful and user-focused designer. Through developing and testing the adaptive warm-up jacket, I learned that good design is not only about creating innovative ideas but also about understanding whether those ideas truly work for the user. The feedback from the para-athlete, coach, and lecturers helped me realise the importance of considering practicality, comfort, and personal preferences during the design process. I have become more aware that inclusive design requires patience, flexibility, and continuous improvement. Moving forward, I hope to carry these values into my future designs by creating garments that are not only functional and aesthetically pleasing but also able to support users and make them feel confident.


Milestone 3 — Final Garment & Presentation

During the final garment construction and presentation stage, we were required to complete two outer garments and three inner garments after finalising our designs with the lecturers and tutors. Since I was responsible for the warm-up jacket, I had to produce two jacket prototypes with lining using calico fabric for the final submission. Compared to previous semesters, I felt more relaxed because the workload was more manageable, and I had a clear understanding of the construction process and the steps I needed to complete. Besides garment construction, we were also required to give an individual presentation to explain our final design and the adaptive features that we had incorporated. Although I was well prepared, I still felt nervous during the presentation, as I usually do, but I was also excited to share the outcome of my work and the design decisions behind it.


During the pattern drafting stage, we encountered a challenge because our athlete's body measurements were not recorded accurately and were taken in inches, which caused inconsistencies in our patterns. As a result, Verena and Jevanny returned to the Malaysia Paralympic Centre (PCM) with Mr. Farid to remeasure the athlete and collect more accurate body measurements. This experience showed me how important accurate measurements are, especially when designing adaptive garments that need to fit the user's body precisely. 


During the drafting process, I also learned how to draft a raglan sleeve for the first time. Although it was challenging, I was able to complete it with guidance from my friends, which helped me improve my pattern-making skills. Throughout the construction process, I refined several design details based on feedback from Ms. Tracy. She recommended changing the magnetic fastening on Design 2 to a zipper because it would be more practical and durable. I also replaced the button cuff on Design 1 with an adjustable pull-tab cuff to improve ease of use. The most challenging part of the construction was sewing the piping around the detachable panels, as the top and bottom sections did not always align smoothly and had to be resewn several times to achieve a neat finish. In addition, because the required plastic zipper lengths were unavailable, I learned how to conceal the excess zipper length inside the lining, which was a valuable construction technique that I had not used before. Overall, this stage taught me that adaptive fashion requires not only creative ideas but also precise pattern drafting, careful construction, and continuous refinement to produce a functional and well-finished garment.


This project has taught me that small details can make a big difference when drafting pattern out and designing adaptive clothing. If I have the chance to do a similar project again, I would spend more time checking body measurements before drafting master pattern to avoid mistakes later in the process. I also want to learn more about different adaptive features and sewing techniques so that I can create designs that are more practical and comfortable for the wearer. Most importantly, I will continue to listen to users' feedback and include their opinions throughout the design process, because they know their own needs better than anyone else. Overall, this experience has strengthened my understanding that socially responsible design is not only about creating functional products but also about promoting confidence, dignity, and inclusivity through thoughtful, user-centred design solutions.


This final stage has shaped me into a more detail-oriented and responsible designer. Through the process of drafting, constructing, and presenting my adaptive jacket, I learned that a successful garment requires not only creative ideas but also accuracy, patience, and continuous problem-solving. The challenges I faced, such as adjusting measurements, refining construction details, and improving adaptive features, helped me become more confident in my technical skills and decision-making. This experience also strengthened my belief that designers have a responsibility to create products that consider the user's needs and experiences. Moving forward, I hope to continue developing designs that combine functionality, comfort, and inclusivity, while ensuring that every design decision creates meaningful value for the wearer.


Comments